Sunday, November 7, 2010

Kandagawa

Photobucket

I once read about it in gaijin's favourite magazine 'Metropolis' whilst sitting on the Narita express train from the airport. It's a river that stretches 24km from Kichichijoji's Inokashira Koen, taking in Suginami, Nakano and Shunjuku before flowing into the larger Sumida river in Taito-ku. The article said the river makes for beautiful bike riding along the river side path.

I first stumbled upon Kandagawa by accident after ignoring the directions suggested by my icrew and instead taking the 'more interesting' backstreets. Although it was approaching evening when I first rode along Kandagawa, I vowed to return soon to take Sandwich photos. So today, taking advantage of this beautiful sunny Tokyo weather, I set out with fellow Australian Tokyo resident Miss Wong (who takes the most beautiful Tokyo photographs) on a lovely slow ride along Kandagawa. There is nothing more fun than riding bikes with someone who loves stopping to take just as many photographs as me!


Photobucket

Photobucket

There are just so many things I love about this river path. The colourful fences (in colours like Tiffany blue and coral) which change colour at almost every road break.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I adore the multi-coloured scallop patterns adorning the bridges.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hello Fuji-san!

Photobucket

Baby blue and pale pink floral fence palings.

Photobucket

The best thing about this river path are the paintings of Pandas on the side railings that are painted with impressive perspective so that visitors can make out the Panda as they are riding up to it, but it disappears as you get closer.

Photobucket

Another feature of Kandagawa are the illustrative tiles scattered throughout the pathway.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The gardens lining the river are also not to be overlooked.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

レモン

Photobucket

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Tokyo potted garden as sweet as this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And this cactus garden brought both Miss Wong and I to a strong skidding break on our mamacharis to take some photographs!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you are in need of some slow time, I can highly recommend a ride along Kandagawa, and right now the weather is just perfect. Do as Miss Wong and I did and eat handmade onigiri in Inokashira koen.

Bike Riders in Tokyo will also love recently launched iphone application 'Navinko'. This application uses social networking to allow members to pin point ‘landmarks’ to share with other riders via GPS tracking and sound alerts. Fascinating Stuff!

I hope you had a lovely weekend Sandwiches.

Love Love
Sando
xoxo

24 comments:

  1. lovely images ebo-chan....can't wait to go riding with you in april next year....hopefully with sakura all around us?!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely. I love how Tokyo puts so much effort into making areas like this. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumi-chan! I can't wait to go riding with you in April! And it will be my first cherry blossom season in Tokyo! xoxo

    Hello Catface, It's the attention to the small things that makes Tokyo just so special!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place I love all the little cute touches they've done with the railings and the tiles such a sweet touch xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tokyo looks like such a lovely place, I like how illustrative it is. The window with the cactus's is what I want my kitchen to look like when I have a place of my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking us along on your lovely ride! I'm most impressed with how the banks of the river have been structured to modify the flow of the water and are so graphically interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! oh! I want to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. really enjoy the pictures you post up of your adventures~ i can't wait to go visit family in january!!! i'll have to go check out kandagawa during my stay in tokyo~ thank you for sharing~!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny cat patterns :D I love Tokyo

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh how adorable! you have inspired me to hire a bicycle while I am in Tokyo this week and see the Kandagawa for myself! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful place, I think I will go camera crazy when I'm there as well. Thanks for taking us along for the ride~~

    ReplyDelete
  12. These is sooo fantastic! It makes me want to fly there right now, an adorable place.
    thank you for sharing!

    Have a lovely colorful week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Cate, Ooo it was so cute indeed! You should come over and ride along it!!!

    Hi Jennifer, that would be so cute if you could make a little window box like that!

    It was my pleasure Jennifer, I'm happy you could enjoy it.

    Hello Danita, yes you should come to Tokyo and hire a mamachari!

    Hello Satsuk Shibuya: Zakka Nouveau, It's my pleasure. I am happy you could enjoy the post. Kandagawa is a lovely place - I hope it's not too cold though in January when you come! be sure to bring some winter woolies!

    Hi Joshylola, ha ha me too!


    Hello Ladybird, yay! My work here is done! I hope you have a lovely ride along Kandagawa when you come to Tokyo!

    Hello Lavender Playground, you will indeed go camera crazy! How exciting you will be in Tokyo soon! It was my pleasure to take you along the ride with me!

    Hello Eva, Oh thank you for your lovely comment. I am so happy you could enjoy!

    Love Love
    Sandwich
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a big playground :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. this look like such a nice place..I love the little painted tiles ^^

    ReplyDelete
  16. the little illos are sooo cute. nice pic eb!

    ReplyDelete
  17. those illustrated tiles are super cute! sounds like a lovely ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Sun! ha ha yeah that's exactly what it's like!

    Hello Marinka! Me too they are so adorable aren't they!

    DAAAAA!!! Are you back? I sent you a msg! xoxo Miss you!

    Hello Trix, It was indeed lovely. Bike riding in Tokyo is so lovely!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, what a beautiful pictures. Love, Hermine

    ReplyDelete
  20. aaaaah that was refreshing, thanks for sharing ebonychan!!
    japan has sooo much character...its ridiculous!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. your blog makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. these pictures are so lovely! i am in love with that potted garden and those hanging plants. oh my, how i want to visit tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The pictures are beautiful! Wish I could visit Tokyo again soon. Until then, I'll live vicariously through your blog!

    ReplyDelete