Saturday, November 29, 2014

This is Antwerp (Part One)

 photo 1517346_297638300447137_1707803049_n_zps048e4724.jpg

Sandwiches! I don't even know where to start to review my 'This is Antwerp' Tourism Antwerp trip. Every time I look at the gazillion photos I took I start to tear up with happiness. Such a wonderful and emotional week.

Well, here goes.

I drank a can of Kirin Green Label beer with Mr Y on the train on the way to Haneda airport. I was armed with my pink travel document purse with a printout of a Qatar airways ticket for 'Mrs Bizys' (I was assured it was okay that it didn't say Ms or Miss). It seemed somewhat surreal seeing as I was still pinching myself that someone was flying me across the world to essentially instagram a few shots of their city. I was incredibly excited, but also so utterly exhausted after just handing in the manuscript for my next book (I still have to show you the behind-the-scenes photos from the shoot!) and was, as a result, feeling emotional to be leaving Tokyo. It was the first time I had been to Europe in goodness knows how many years, more than ten, at least. Ever since I first visited Japan 15 years ago, I had been spending all of my holiday leave each year here in Tokyo. Put me on the QF21 or QF22 Qantas flights between Sydney and Tokyo and I could do the inflight announcements in both Japanese and English, but Europe?...Whole. New. Story. At 12:15am, after a glass of overpriced cava with Mr Y at Haneda, my Qatar flight to Doha took off. 

Watching the flight path screen on the inflight entertainment, and counting the 'hours until destination' slowly pass by, it sunk in just how far away Tokyo is. Seriously, I live so far away from the rest of the world over here in my little Tokyo bubble. Two, maybe three movies, and a stopover in Doha later, and I was greeted by the lovely Andrew of Walkie Talkie fame at Brussels airport. No 'Hello Sandwich' sign, just the uber cool Andrew in his bright jacket and smiley face to greet me. Our first stop was coffee while we waited for one of the other international guests (Itay, who would soon become my new best friend on earth) to arrive.

"My name means pain in Japanese", said Itay upon meeting for the first time. I'm pretty sure I'll think of him forever when I say 'itaiiiiiiiiii'.


 photo DSCF2082_zpscb8c7f03.jpg

The first scheduled event of the week was the Urban Squad Kitchen pop-up dinner. The jet lag has left my memories of the evening slightly fuzzy. But, as I recall it, the evening was a wonderful start to an even better week. I was driven, in the rain, to what seemed to be a somewhat hidden away factory which fondly reminded me of warehouses in Sydney's Surry Hills.

"Would you like a glass of cava? We have sweet or dry."

As icing on the cake, I was called 'charismatic' by two lovely girls on my way out. Gosh, if I can pull off the illusion of charisma after 24 hours of travel, I thought, I can do anything! It could have been the 'dry' cava talking.


 photo DSCF2092_zps9611f206.jpg

 photo DSCF2124_zps74fbf2f9.jpg

 photo 10788022_1482803945341250_1378037025_n_zps7973cddf.jpg

I pretty much lived on 4 hours sleep per night throughout the week at this gorgeous little B&B, and each morning I'd arrive at ab hostel (which was the base camp for our group and was also where the boys were staying) for breakfast. I miss these mornings. Pouring my orange juice from a giant OJ cask. Soft boiled eggs. And Pants Off (I'll talk more about Pants Off later). I loved those little retro floral plates, too.

 photo 10748168_1487612858171913_1919483919_n_zps1671219a.jpg

The team of 12 creatives was made up of 7 boys and 5 girls. I didn't notice that I somehow ended up tagging along with the guys until I asked my friend back in Tokyo "Did you see my pics of Antwerp?" and he replied, "Oh yeah, but they were mostly just of guys". Hah! Oh gosh, just looking back at these photos I think I could tear up again.

 photo 10584653_351527688340202_1946554502_n_zps1721278b.jpg


I did try to take some pictures in between all of the scheduled activities. To be honest, I could have been happy just walking around taking photos all week, and in the end I formed a 'Antwerp Fujifilm Club' photo team with two of the best guys on the planet. Again, more of that later, but at this stage, I simply snapped a few buildings on the way to and from scheduled events.

Back in Tokyo, over lunch last week, my friend Martin mentioned that I managed to take 'Hello Sandwich style' photos in Europe, too. He referenced these kinds of corner shopfronts and, in his words, 'Non-touristic' photos. This made me very happy. I always think that you can get a decent view of the true city if you take a trip to the suburbs, and to a supermarket.


 photo 10296708_265711493552924_2005694876_n_zps743047db.jpg

 photo DSCF2253_zpsc54b53dc.jpg

But back to the tour, where I was whisked off to the morning after I arrived. At 9am we were sent off on a Cyclant bike tour around Antwerp.

I don't think I'd completely adjusted to the timezone in Antwerp just yet, so again, these memories might be a little fuzzy.

 photo DSCF2188_zpsf6590897.jpg

Looking back now, after only just one dinner with these 11 other creatives, it's hard to believe just how well we all got along even on the first day together.

 photo 10784834_935010806528995_1447868503_n_zpsbb77edbb.jpg

 photo 10533390_1506180279668641_468948515_n_zpsc3b670ee.jpg

 photo 10731968_874377295929400_845334515_n_zpsa183299b.jpg

That day I rode all over Antwerp's bumpy streets and chatted to Adrian from Madrid about photography. I felt inspired beyond words. The kind of inspired where you catch yourself smiling and squealing under your breath in public places.

 photo Antwerp_zps57aefac8.jpg

Standing in Grote Markt, I briefly snuck away from the bike tour for a moment to take this photo. I wished that I was half the height of these buildings so they'd be straight. "You can fix that later with SKWRT", Adrian replied. I was so thrilled to be travelling with such brilliant photographers. It was incredibly reassuring to travel with a group of people who took just as many photos as me, and who would happily wait for one another while they crouched down in the middle of a busy street just to get the right shot. These were my kind of people.

 photo DSCF2189_zps4d522cf2.jpg

I stopped here to take a picture during the bike tour, but when I tried to follow the group around that corner, they were nowhere in sight!

 photo DSCF2180_zps5ceb9620.jpg

 photo DSCF2257_zpsd2cb895d.jpg

Luckily there was one other keen photographer who lingered just as much as me, and we ended up finding the group together. Here is a shot of the group outside the MAS art museum.

 photo DSCF2204_zps340ecd20.jpg

One of the longest underground tunnels I've been in. And certainly the longest tunnel I've ridden along.

 photo DSCF2213_zps5128c6a4.jpg

You can take your bike on the escalators in Antwerp! Amazing, no? There's Itay, from Tel Aviv, checking his phone on the escalators. That was another brilliant thing about this trip, which may sound pathetic, but because we were all there to promote the city through our social media outlets, it was completely acceptable to be sitting at lunch on our iphones all day. I mean, THESE are my people!

Here we were, a group of 12 strangers, and a videographer, a photographer, a representative from Tourism Antwerp and from the PR company...together all day every day. Completely comfortable in silence on our iphones at lunch. In Antwerp. We often joked about what our combined instagram following would be if we added up all of our followers.

 photo DSCF2222_zps5bc6ab46.jpg

 photo DSCF2216_zps0169d923.jpg

 photo 10731970_557814894364702_1271849122_n_zpscd1d5ca8.jpg

 photo 10735128_382271181948476_1819037312_n_zps11ce921b.jpg

 photo 10735337_1507555662832417_398646981_n_zps54758302.jpg


I could have spent the week alone taking photos like this. I would have loved to. That, and spending time looking at packaging in supermarkets. Don't you love doing that in different countries?

 photo DSCF2171_zps2f6eacfc.jpg

 photo DSCF2242_zpsdf366dc9.jpg

 photo DSCF2244_zps5c86535b.jpg

 photo DSCF2256_zpsed7f3129.jpg

 photo DSCF2262_zpse04627fc.jpg

 photo DSCF2271_zpsa710e6c8.jpg

 photo DSCF2274_zps64d248ab.jpg

 photo DSCF2277_zps991d1b0d.jpg

 photo DSCF2292_zpsdf275d87.jpg

But the time spent wandering with these other 11 creatives was, for me, absolutely life changing. The PR company, Walkie Talkie, did SUCH a freaking incredible job curating this group. It shouldn't have worked so well, I mean, I don't know how it did, but it was mind blowingly fantastic.

 photo DSCF2294_zpsfcbe47a3.jpg

 photo DSCF2304_zpsa55fdb75.jpg

 photo DSCF2308_zps72651ea8.jpg

Pre-dinner Belgian beers, and errrr, more cava for Sandwich.

 photo DSCF2314_zps668c192f.jpg

The first full day together in Antwerp ended with another special dinner at Felixpakhuis. At this stage I'm still not sure that it had all sunk in just yet. Sitting at my little chair on Antwerp cobblestones. Chatting away to new friends. Eating more delicious food and sipping nice wine. Oh, such a special time.

Over the next little while I'll go through more shots from the week and share them with you. I hope you might enjoy the pictures.

Love Love
Hello Sandwich
xoxo



16 comments:

  1. Wow, it does just look incredible! I've never been, this has moved it a few places up the list... what a great bunch of guys to hang out with as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best guys on the planet! Such brilliant times. And great to hear this post has moved Antwerp up a few places on your travel list! My work here is done ;) x

      Delete
  2. Usually I come here for my Tokyo fix, but it's so fun to see Antwerp through your eyes Ebony! And, Antwerp is only 1,5 hours away from me, so it's a win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annemarie. Thanks for your lovely message! So pleased you could enjoy this post even though there was not a Tokyo potted garden in sight! :)

      Delete
  3. i love love love your pictures! and yes, my boyfriend and i loved exploring the food section @ Muji Shinjuku, or the food court @ Isetan or the big supermarket @ Lalaport, or the supermarket next to Tsutaya @ Daikanyama, or the many 7eleven and Lawson's we came across. As you know by now, we don't have those in Antwerp... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! That's so sweet of you to say! Ha ha, I think I've become used to Japanese combini and supermarkets now! It's too sad!!! I need to travel to get my supermarket packaging fix!

      Delete
  4. Just came across your blog, such wonderful eye candy and amazing prose!
    Sweet hugs,
    Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dagmar! You are really too kind, but I appreciate the comment all the same ;)

      Delete
  5. what great pictures (and writing!) of my hometown, fantastic how you see things that I pass almost daily! I am going to look at street corners in a different frame now :) txs also for the SKRWT tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Iris for your lovely comment! Antwerp street corners are so photogenic! Miss them dearly.

      Delete
  6. Your photos make it seem as if this is not my own country! Love them! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your nice comment! Lovely of you to say! x

      Delete
  7. (I'll talk more about Pants Off later) - This sounds scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved seeing these photos. I used to live in a flat opposite that pizzeria and spent many hours watching the people go by in the square and watching the goings on in the restaurant. The waiters there were very friendly. As a teen I used to curse the time spent doing the washing in the laundrette next door, but I somehow, I feel affectionate towards it now. It's so nice to see that some things don't change. Every time I go back so many things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you ever need a place to stay in Antwerp, let me know!
    So funny that you took a picture from my brother 's door...the one with ANTIEK ...

    ReplyDelete