Tuesday, December 2, 2014

This is Antwerp (Part Three)

 photo DSCF2596_zpsb6e75b33.jpg

Sandwiches! Helloooooo!

More from the 'This is Antwerp' tourism Antwerp trip.

There was a choice of two workshops on this particular day. Make a leather bag and take a visit to the fashion museum, or silk screen print at Ctrl Copy. After my residency at Harvest Workroom (some more pics here), I was keen to see how screen printing factories worked in Antwerp, so boarded the taxi van with the guys to the outskirts of Antwerp.

 photo DSCF2602_zps942c42d6.jpg

We had a bit of time to kill upon arrival so Pants Off climbed on a car. We all took photos of Pants Off on the car. Then we headed to the river side in search of photos and abandoned buildings. 

This morning was one of my favourite memories from the trip. The grey. The cold. The slow time. The brilliant company. Walking slow. Looking down. Looking up. Enough time to see. Taking photos. Laughing. Climbing through corrugated metal walls. Skipping over puddles. Listening to different languages. So far removed from my regular life. No phone service. So comfortable.

 photo DSCF2641_zpse02d0303.jpg

"That's the grey I can't get in my paintings", said Luke's voice in my head as I took this shot.

 photo DSCF2604_zps6bbb5799.jpg

 photo DSCF2613_zps09401bc8.jpg

Antwerp Fujifilm club for life.

 photo DSCF2653_zps53f5dfd3.jpg

 photo DSCF2647_zps21f17fc6.jpg

 photo DSCF2667_zps0a75ea57.jpg

 photo DSCF2664_zps92ff6a4e.jpg

 photo 10748456_854996621207231_33151896_n_zpsb37d6e31.jpg

The human Antwerp logo.

Art direction by James and Itay.

Sander's little foot sticking out.

 photo DSCF2612low_zpsa42097fd.jpg

Miss this guy!

"A little bit to the right. Um, no, back a bit now. Okay! That's it!"

 photo 10808664_1710707002488278_1274930342_n_zps82546313.jpg

For Luke.

 photo DSCF2711low_zps2f2de5b4.jpg

Mint tea on arrival at Ctrl Copy.

At this stage I still hadn't been to a supermarket in Antwerp so this was about as close as I had been to experiencing the local food packaging design. So lovely!

 photo DSCF2697_zps2ea3041f.jpg

Almost like a genkan with all those little shoes lined up.

 photo DSCF2685_zps48a96c50.jpg

食べたい!

 photo DSCF2690_zps641776cb.jpg

 photo DSCF2696_zpsa0f93c4a.jpg

I think we all had in mind that we would each make our own design and then print it, but it turned out that we would make a collaborative design and print it as a group. Can you imagine a bunch of maybe 7 creatives trying to decide on one design that we all liked?

Pants Off's re-enactment: "We don't want to put any words in your mouth, but it would be great if you could use the letters D.A.T.E. But again, we don't want to put any words in your mouth".

*Editor's side note - D.A.T.E = Discover Antwerp Through Experience

"How about we write Mayonnaise in fries"

Itay: "Everyone save some fries. I need a combination of long ones and short ones"

James: "Why don't we write D.A.T.E. in hands?"

Sandwich: "I was art directed out of my design!"

At one stage I was outside acting as a photographers assistant to James as he photographed leftover chips. I was holding an A4 piece of paper as a DIY reflector board! Whaaaaaaat?! I guess it's my punishment for not shooting RAW.


 photo 10533958_852650718108251_651892091_n_zps46136108.jpg

I loved peeking into Sander's bag. He was there next to me, supervising, of course. He was carrying around a tin of pencils and a sketch book. Brilliant! What a dude.

 photo DSCF2698_zpsb87aaa57.jpg

It was brilliant sitting in this room. Coffee. Belgian waffles. A mac per meter. Access to printers, scanners and wifi. Walls lined with nicely designed flyers and posters. Some of the best guys on the planet. Antwerp. Antwerp's outskirts. I could happily work away in a studio like this.

The founder of Ctrl Copy, Sven, expressed such enthusiasm for his screen printing. It was infectious. I really thank you Sven, for your kindness and time, and sharing your expertise with us. I took my little Ctrl Copy tote bag to my local Shimokitazawa supermarket the other day, too.

 photo DSCF2708_zpsaa3eeed6.jpg

We each printed a grey sweater with hands spelling out 'D.A.T.E' and a bitmap of a hand from the celebrated 'Druon Antigoon' sculpture in front of the town hall. There were a lot of hands. It was very boy. But I love those guys to bits.

 photo DSCF2738_zps9c33f32c.jpg

Dinner was at Het bos. I loved the atmosphere of this place.

"The red tokens are for drinks and the green one is for dinner upstairs".

They had beautifully designed flyers, too, which always helps. The below flyer was designed by JJ funhouse. (Picture courtesy of JJ funhouse's instagram)


 photo 10691812_345001812327480_2082138693_n_zps92876927.jpg

 photo DSCF2753_zps0a86747d.jpg

Later that night we ended up at an advertising agency party at the MAS. It seemed to be an unwritten dress code rule that acceptable colours to wear were black and grey, with very minimal usage of neutrals. I, however, arrived in true trademark Hello Sandwich style, in a ditsy floral sweater. The even better part about wearing this particular sweater to this uber cool Antwerp fashion party was that the said sweater was $6 from Kmart at Broadway. Hah! I'm saving the pic of us all on the dance floor for the archives.

Miss these guys to bits.

Love Sandwich
xoxo


1 comment:

  1. I just read something about you and your photos of Antwerp in a local magazine and decided to take a look at your blog. And I was not disappointed! I live near Antwerp and go to school in Antwerp for 7,5 years, yet you showed a whole different side of the city I never really payed attention to. I love your photos. I hope you liked Belgium and our silly obsession with fries.

    ReplyDelete