Thursday, March 31, 2011

5pm Bell



One of the things I miss most about Tokyo is the 5pm bell. Back in the good old days I'd sometimes ride to the park to meet my friend Mark to listen to the bell together. There are different chimes in each area. A favourite of mine is the one at Inokashira Koen. Yesterday I tweeted how much I missed the bell and two sweet friends sent me recordings of the bells. So adorable. Thank you so much Lily and Isabelle!

Isabelle even made this gorgeous video to go with it (above). And she also made the video (below) of the sweet potato van sound...another very familiar sound.



I'm not missing the recycled goods van sound. Anyone who lives in Tokyo will agree!

Love Love
Sandwich
xoxo

9 comments:

  1. aaaah, the yaki imo van ♥ another thing i'm really starting to miss is japanese sweet potatoes. the onbes in norway are completely different :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last video so much!! so poetic, artistic but simple and direct! thanks for show it and come on! keep your brave fighting there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the 5pm bells, what a lovely sound! Love it. In my neighborhood (close to Ichigaya) there was also a tofu cart that signalled with a horn... these and the Yamanote jingles are my audio-memories of Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i miss the yaki imo van and the 5pm bell too. like you, i left tokyo after the quake and i go back in a week. i miss tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it kinda eerie, haahahah. But I've haven't ever stayed in Japan for longer than two days. I haven't heard it myself. I know the 7-11 welcoming jingle always gives me good memories of chocolate, strawberry milk, j-magazines, and bentos<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely delightful videos! You have such lovely friends.
    I like that particular Yakiimo song. Very cool.

    Best, Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this ... I cried while listening , natsukashii , i m so homesick lately , this is a real treasure , kokoro kara arigatoo..........

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay! loved the yaki imo van, the cute little tune was always followed by a waft of smokey potato goodness through my window! haha i agree, the recycle van - definitely not fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 5pm bell has given me goosebumps. I don't know why, it's very lovely.

    ReplyDelete