Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Banana Dada Toilet Typography

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Funny post title isn't it but I have too much to tell you. Starting with what a silly Sandwich I am! I can't stop buying design books from Shinjuku's Kinokuniya. But look at this beautiful typography book I bought yesterday! It's meant for embroidery I guess, but I think the letters would look so adorable hand drawn too no? I've been a bit type obsessed lately (more than usual) because time has come where I can no longer exist in Tokyo without a meishi! It's been a great excuse to buy design books and some new fonts for 'inspiration'.


Yesterday, while in Shinjuku, I had lunch with the super talented and lovely Jordon. One of the best things about moving to a new city is meeting lovely new friends don't you think? Jordon is a radio producer, band extraordinaire, runs no less than three websites, and is an all round cheery, creative and charming person. If you don't believe me, just take a look at his live performance on a Tokyo train.



Adorable isn't it?! You'll be singing 'banana' for at least a week after watching this. Trust me! ;)

Jordon took me to Dada Cafe which is a sweet little cafe in yoyogi set inside an old Japanese house. It reminds me of two of my favourite cafes here in Tokyo...Aoya in Nakameguro and Mois cafe in Shimokitazawa. If you are around Shinjuku area and need a break from shopping, it's a nice cosy little hideaway.

Jordon's band 'Baron and Jordon' are playing here this Friday night. If you are in town, make sure to pop in and say hello! Or if you are not in Tokyo, you can buy their first CD, Swingset, online here.



P.S. Oh My! I fell in love with Naoko Ogigami's new film 'toilet' when I saw the trailer for it at the cinema in Shibuya on the weekend. And just a day or so ago Make it Easy posted about another Naoko Ogigami film, Megane. And you might have also seen Hiki's post about Kamome Shokudo which also looks beautiful. I can't wait to watch these films.



There are just too many beautiful things in Japan! I still can't stop smiling that I live here. One last thing...Gracie tells me this interactive exhibition is one not to miss if you are in Tokyo.

Love Love
Hello Sando
xxx

25 comments:

  1. you are having so much fun in tokyo, hey? :) baron & jordon is now one of my fav... thanks ebo-chan! and yeah i love kamome shokudo, too! haven't see megane yet. probably i should go to chinatown to find a copy... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am! I must be quite annoying to listen to I guess! (>_<) but I can't quite help myself! weeee tanoshiiiiiiii!!!
    Miss you Nori-kun!
    Can't wait till you visit!
    Love Love
    (omote) Sando
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The performance in the train looks like so much fun! It would make my day getting in a train like that! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i saw this book at fine little day weeks ago and fell in love ... sadly i couldn't find it anywhere ... do you know a shop to purchase?

    rike

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally understand not being able to resist books at Kinokuniya , I had the hardest time not buying every craft book at the one in San Fran, and the one in Sydney, so I can't imagine what it would be like in Japan!
    Glad you are loving it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sobinique, It looked like a lot of fun didn't it! Thank you for popping by Hello Sandwich.

    BastisRIKE, thank you for your comment. Ahhh, it was Fine Little Day! I knew I had seen it somewhere before! I'm so sorry, I tried to include a link where to buy this book but alas, no luck :( Amazon perhaps?

    Teddybearswednesday hello! ha ha yes it's my dirty little secret - buying way too many books! I have to keep reminding myself that moving countries with books is not fun!

    Love Love
    Hello Sandwich
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Swedish on the cover! I've got a couple of books like this one from like 1940 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. why can't i see any of your photos anymore? i think photobucket is boycotting me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your life sounds absolutely fascinating! I so enjoy reading about all the things your busy with, very interesting :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. that typography is adorable! i love design books! i've got a ton of them!!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kinokuniya over here just had a sale and I went crazy with crafty books! Went home a very satisfied gal though :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss Kinokuniya! Hahaha.. And those beautiful font types.. Oh my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg, I love the idea of handwriting the letters! i agree, they would look sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it sounds like you are really enjoying tokyo. im glad.
    i am also glad that you went to dada cafe!
    my friend took me there when i first arrived in tokyo, and i fell in love.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello ebony, i wish we met at zines mate.i saw your stall but no you...
    next time you and hiki come to gakugei let me know, we could try out the cake shop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Owwaaaaa train performances are my absolute favourite! Pity I'll miss the show on Fri...one week too early, hey? Perhaps Baron & Jordan can play on my birthday? :D

    Too many good things to do in TYO...you've gotta stop amping me up about moving Sando! Hehe xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Tiger! oh beautiful! i'd love to see your books from the 1940s! If you ever run out of post ideas...! ;)

    Mette lovely! Oh no! really :( what a disaster! I wish I had started with flickr but now I'm kind of locked into my membership with photobucket. Thank you for your email too!

    See Me Everywhere - ha ha you're cute! Well, I must say, I'm really happy here! I love this city!

    Hello Danielle, thank you for stopping by Hello Sandwich. I'm happy you could enjoy it.

    Hi Barbra, ahhh yes design books are addictive aren't they!

    Hi Cookie Cutter! I am sooooo excited about your mail treat! yipppeeeee! oh wow - lucky you with the sale! I find books are a lot cheaper here in Japan than Australia so it's very easy to stock up!

    Dawn Tan little one! I am so happy you are a bit cheerier now! poor possum! But Melbourne has magnation! That's a goodie! And I can always send you things too!

    Hi Katie Merchant! Thanks for your comment. When things settle down a bit I might try doing some hand drawn fonts like this - maybe for a new Sando header!

    Hi These leaves are my heart. Isn't Dada cafe lovely! It's nice to eat somewhere a bit tucked away and cosy in Shinjuku! Oh you are living in Tokyo too! yay! Your blog is lovely! I am going to visit often!

    Melinda! oh no! I was probably either at family mart getting lunch or looking around the zine fair! I am so bummed i missed you! But yes let's meet in gakugei soon! Hiki and I were just there the other day! i lOVE that second hand bookshop near the station!

    Hello Elo, oh my you are excited aren't you! You need to get a bike virtually as soon as you arrive okay so we can ride around together ne!

    Thanks everyone for your comments!

    Love Love
    Hello Sandwich
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!
    that train performance is AMAZING. to genius!! it put a huge smile on my face, thanks ebonychan!!
    how did you become friends with them?? sooo cute
    i really like the lighting in the video too. it has that washed out vintage light feel to it :-)

    ps: thanks for the movie shout out :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I understand that feeling~ right now I'm in Taiwan where there are always new things to see (lots of stuff from Japan too) so I can't help smiling when I go out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you for your beautiful posts! I hear what youa re saying, typography and design! We love it too....love to see more. Happy travels xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow i'd love to own that typography book, too! the cover's so charming with the stitches and thread ;) and the train performance is amazzzzing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Ebony, big thank you for coming out to the last night show! It was great meeting you and your friend. Melbourne is the place where all my music and comedy career started. Melbourne is a great art spot I guess. I love it and I will definitely go back there for the fringe festival.
    See ya

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi ebony,
    i've been trying to use the mouse with my left hand this week and i accidently 'rejected' your comment on my blog the other day and couldn't get it back! of course i love your little book! expecially that you are riding your bike through it. i've just learnt to love collage late in life. sounds like you're having a ball in tokyo. i'm also very keen to see megane especially after seeing the dance number!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdO-h7UNg4&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  24. i've always found typography to be quite spectacular :)

    ReplyDelete